On Old Spice’s 2008 “Art of Manliness” Man of the Year Matthew L. Chancey: Right-Wing Nutjob!
In which The Gay Recluse says wtf.
Somewhat cruelly, a reader just tipped us off about several things that we’d rather not ever have learned about, but which we are now compelled to share, to both shock and amuse you.
So basically, thousands and thousands are flocking to this site, and not just for laffs? We couldn’t believe it, either.
2) The Art of Manliness decided to hold a “Man of the Year” contest, which Old Spice — yes, sadly they still exist — sponsored to the tune of $2000 for the winner and assorted other Old Spice junk that would be good to regift if you were ever invited to say, Dick Cheney’s birthday party. But they’re very inclusive:
- Looks out for and is loyal to his friends and family.
- Does the right thing, even when it’s not convenient.
- Is proficient in the manly arts.
- Serves and gives back to his community.
- Sacrifices for the good of others.
- Works hard and never complains.
- Has a confident swagger, but isn’t a pompous jerk.
- Has a sense of humor but doesn’t cut people down.
- Embraces instead of shirks responsibility
3) A bunch of men were nominated, there were votes. Whatever! The winner was Matthew Chancey, who was nominated by his wife: “In short, Matt is a far cry from today’s ‘metro-sexual’ or video game addict. He is a true man’s man.” Wow, good for him!
4) [This from our reader, and we really couldn’t be bothered to fact-check, but none of it seems implausible!]: Chancey and his wife Jennie run a misogynistic site called Ladies Against Feminism, which promotes the idea that women should not attend college, work outside the home, or have the right to vote. They are also proud members of the racist, homophobic cult Vision Forum, whose statement on homosexuality includes the following: “Homosexuality is not a victimless crime. It is a cruel moral perversion that wreaks moral, physical and spiritual havoc on men, women, children, families and institutions. The Bible makes no distinction between homosexuals, pedophiles, bestials and rapists. All are criminals, the toleration of which brings judgment on the land and devastation to children.”
Thanks a lot, Art of Manliness and Old Spice. It’s great to give homophobic nazis as much exposure as possible! I’m sure this will be great PR for both the site and the venerable Old Spice brand. Congratulations to all on such a great way to end the year.
A final note from our reader: Please contact Old Spice’s parent company, Procter & Gamble, and tell them you will not be buying Old Spice products while their company is being represented by a radical, right-wing extremist.
Update: Queerty also posted about this, and has some interesting (by which we mean nauseating) information about Chancey and Vision Forum.
Filed under: Conspiracy, Disease, Retail | 5 Comments
Tags: Art of Manliness, Homophobia, Matthew Chancey, Nazis, Old Spice, Vision Forum